Monroe County, Rochester NE
10 Dake St.
Present church built:
Sep. 22, 1929 [dedicated]
Closed - demolished
Our Lady of Sorrows was established as an Italian mission church in 1924 as a solution to overflow
crowds at the nearby recently established Italian church of Our Lady of Mt. Carmel. A former German Baptist mission was
purchased at 10 Dake St., located at the corner of Dake and Niagara, for use by the new community. The
building was dedicated on Sep. 22, 1929.
The final Mass was offered at Our Lady of Sorrows in 1938, after which many parishioners settled into
St. Francis Xavier church. The former church and rectory would become home to the Genesee Settlement House in 1939,
led by Fr. Joseph Vogt. The building remained until at least the late 1960s, but was
eventually demolished. The lot remains empty to this day.