Monroe County, Perinton, Bushnell's Basin
2 Thornell Rd.
Present church built:
Feb. 1, 1965
Immaculate Heart of Mary began in 1948 at the corner of Thornell and Rt. 96 as a mission chapel of St. Louis church in Pittsford.
Msgr. Louis Edelman, Pastor of St. Louis at the time, offered the first Mass at the chapel in 1948. Immaculate
Heart was quite small, seating only 50 people. The chapel would continue to be administered by St. Louis
until the Summer of 1962 when it was handed over to the new St. John of Rochester parish.
The first St. John of Rochester Mass at Immaculate Heart of Mary took place on August 5th, 1962.
The new parish would continue to use this chapel as their primary worship space until
a combined church/school was completed on the present St. John of Rochester property in September of 1963.
Masses continued to be offered at the chapel for a couple more years after St. John of Rochester moved out,
though these Masses would cease after February 1st, 1965. Immaculate Heart of Mary was vacant for several years,
finally being sold to Mr. and Mrs. Richard Steamer in March 1981. The chapel still exists and is presently
occupied by an accupuncture business.